Recipes for Durrus Cheese
DURRUS AND LEEK PIE
...for the pastry
- 250g plain flour
- 125g butter, cubed
- 5cl water
- Pinch of salt
...for the filling
- 1kg leeks
- 3 egg yolks, separated
- 200g Durrus Cheese, roughly chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the salt, add the water and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured work surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while you prepare the filling
- THINLY slice the leeks (whites only) and cook in butter on a low heat until soft, then leave to cool.
- Add egg yolks to the leeks, season and mix well
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface and transfer to a buttered tart tin.
- Pour leek mix on top of pastry and sprinkle with Durrus Cheese
- Bake for 30-35 mins at 230°C
Durrus Cheese, Spinach and Nutmeg Pizza (from Carmel Somers)
- 1 Home made pizza dough
- 4-5 large handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- 200g Durrus Cheese (rind removed), thinly sliced
- Nutmeg, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat the oven to 250ºC and heat a large flat baking tray.
- Roll out pizza base very thinly and place on hot baking tray.
- Top with the spinach.
- Season well with salt, pepper and a good amount of grated nutmeg.
- Arrange Durrus Cheese slices on top of spinach.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 8 – 10 mins until base is golden and cheese has melted.
- 750g potatoes, peeled and left whole
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 200g smoked bacon, diced
- 20cl dry white wine
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 400g Durrus Cheese, sliced and rind removed
- Boil potatoes for 20 mins, or until tender, drain and leave to cool, then dice
- Sauté onion until golden brown, add bacon and cook for a further 5 mins
- Add the diced potatoes and wine, season and cook on a low heat for 10 mins
- Pour half this mixture into an oven proof dish, spread half the Durrus Cheese on top, cover with the remaining potato mix and top with remaining Durrus Cheese
- Back for 20 mins at 180°C